The Parent Forum
The Parent Forum consists of all the parents who have a child at this school. Every parent or carer with a child at the school is automatically a members. The Parent Forum can expect to
- Receive information about the school
- Identify issues for the Parent Council
- Be consulted by the Parent Council
- Express views to the Parent Council
What is the Parent Council?
The Parent Council is the representative body of the Parent Forum who liaise with the school on its behalf.
The majority of members are parents or carers of children at the school. The Head teacher has a right to attend all meetings and there is representation from other school staff. There can also be co-opted members – members of the community with links to the school.
The chairperson of the Parent Council is John Clydesdale and the secretary is Jillian Phair.
What does the Parent Council do?
The main aim of the Parent Council is to help the school operate successfully. This includes,
- Improving relations between all parents and the school
- Ensuring parents get the information they need and that the school gets feedback on parents’ views
- Discussing issues of interest to parents such as school policies, bullying and school uniform (issues about individual pupils are not dealt with by the Parent Council)
- Working with the school to set up extra-curricular activities and after-school clubs
- Representing parents’ views to the education authority and others on issues that are of concern to parents, staff and pupils.
Our recent activities
We are lucky to have a very active Parent Council at Kings Park. Over the past few years we have been involved in a number of activities with or on behalf of the school, including:
- Liaising with Midlothian Council on a number of matters, e.g. effect of additional housing on King’s Park School
- Working with the school to develop the school website and upgrade the IT facilities
- Working towards playground improvements
- Carrying out a survey of P1 and Nursery parents on the school ‘settling in’ policy
Recent meetings have covered topics such as the impact on our school of additional housing in the area, playground improvements, and the P1 settling-in-survey. We have also had presentations from the Pupil Council and from our Active Schools Co-ordinator as well as regular updates from the head teacher.
We have a number of subgroups working on a variety of projects on behalf of the school. These are:
- Grant Application
- Information Technology
- Health and Well-being
- and a new Sports group
How YOU can get involved
You can get involved as much or as little as you are willing or able to. Here are a few examples of how you could get involved.
- Come to meetings and give us your ideas and opinions
- Make suggestions by email or on our Facebook page (Kings Park PTC)
- Provide feedback on discussions raised within the Facebook group
Everyone has something to offer that will benefit our children in some way.
We have a number of contact methods to enable you to communicate with us and us with you.
The Parent Council represents parents’ views and supports the school in achieving its educational aims.
If you have any views, ideas or concerns please sign up to be added to the e-mail contact list, like our page on Facebook, check the noticeboard, or leave a suggestion in the box outside the school office. You all have a voice, and we would love to hear it.
We will endeavour to keep you up to date by posting the agendas and minutes of Parent Council meetings and any other events that are coming up.
Parent Council Documents
Meeting Times and Location
Meetings are held 5 times a year in the Junior Building at King’s Park School (enter through door A). They run from 7pm until 8.30pm.
Dates for 2016/17:
- Wednesday 21st September 2016
- Wednesday 16th November 2016
- Wednesday 8th February 2017
- Wednesday 29th March 2017
- Wednesday 14th June 2017